Saturday, November 12, 2011

Coffeeeeeee.....

I have always been one of those people who is like a zombie in the mornings. My only intelligible word that is not frowned upon is caffeine. However, I was never able to stomach coffee. I just couldn't get past the bitter taste, no matter how much sugar and creamer were available. I really felt that it made the coffee taste nastier when I'd try to doctor it. I got my caffeine from Mtn. Dew.

Mtn. Dew has plenty of caffeine, but the sugar is what started concerning me. I have family members who have to deal with the whole diabetic thing. Since I seem to have been swimming in the filter of the gene pool, where all the hereditary crap that nobody wants is, it seemed like a good idea to start trying to reduce the amount of sugar that I swill on a daily basis. I tried diet drinks. No dice. The aspartame seems to flare up the fibromyalgia. I tried tea, but I could never make it strong enough to meet my caffeine needs. I did discover Stevia, though. It's an all-natural sweetener that tastes pretty good, and it doesn't flare my fibro. Now, I just had to figure out the caffeine dilemma.

At my newly acquired job, I decided to try some coffee. I put a little bit of sugar (I was out of Stevia) and some chocolate milk in it. Problem solved. After a week of this, I started trying various creamers. Bingo! Bonus! I have finally gotten past the bitter taste of coffee! After only a week, I started using very little sweetener and creamer, but my caffeine addiction is now being fed, quite nicely, too. I now see how people who are human and reasonable in the morning hours can do it.

My new zombie saying is coffeeeeeeeee.......I am a nicer and more reasonable person before noon, now. What is ironic is that I am now able to sleep at night, and I sleep much better. It seems that drinking coffee until it is sometime in the early afternoon keeps me going until bedtime. Once the coffee high leaves my system, I am able to crash. I have found my life support.

Since I have been drinking coffee, I have been easing myself into the ability to drink it black. I will get there. Once I do that, I will not have to worry about sugar levels, so much. I barely sweeten my tea, which is what I now drink in the afternoons and evenings. Wow, desperation leads to a better life choice. While living on coffee is not the best thing to do, it has got to be better for me than living on Mtn. Dew.

Well, now my cup is empty. I have to go get more coffeeeeeeee......

No comments:

Post a Comment